Saturday, July 13, 2013

Who got you Started?

  When I was no more than a boy, we used to go to visit my Grandmother Rosalita in New York City. Being from Puerto Rico, Rosalita was a fine upstanding Spanish Catholic woman, who of course spent some of her spare time hanging out with the female readers down on Coney Island. They were all her friends and she, for the most part, could get a reading when she wished without having to cross anyone's palm with silver! It was here that I was first introduced to divination by way of what I have lovingly come to call the "American Gypsies". The ladies are all long gone now, but I can still vividly recall their sweet perfume mixing with the scent of cotton candy and popcorn!



  These wonderful old women, with their colorful flowing dress and heavy makeup, looked to be exactly what you would expect to find inside of the traditional gypsy wagon in the movies. Yet, they were kind and compasionate, and totally serious about the gift they possessed. They would welcome you into there little tents or wooden attraction shacks, and spin such marvelous tales as they told you all that would come to pass in the future. My Grandmother and I spent many a summer afternoon in their company, and the spark of my intuition that was fostered in that atmosphere has grown steadily throughout my life.

  So who got you started down the path? Did you simply know at some point that you had the gift, was there an ah-ha moment that came to you like a flash? Or maybe, like me, you had a grand and romantic encounter that started you along?

No comments:

Post a Comment